SEOUL, 25 Feb. (Yonhap) — President Moon Jae-in said Friday that South Korea will make full use of its nuclear power plants as part of its nuclear phase-out program, calling nuclear power the main source of electricity over the next few years. next 60 years.
“In the next 60 years, as nuclear power plants continue to operate, nuclear power plants are expected to be fully utilized as the main source of electricity,” Moon said at a meeting on stable power supply, according to the report. presidential spokesman Park Kyung-mee.
The construction of four nuclear reactors – Shin-Hanul No. 1 and No. 2, as well as Shin-Kori No. 5 and No. 6 – has been delayed due to safety inspections and other issues.
Moon urged officials to make efforts to gradually start operations at the four nuclear reactors as safety standards for operations have increased, Park said.
Moon said the Korean government’s energy transition policy is to gradually suspend the construction of new nuclear power plants and ban the extension of the life of older nuclear power plants until 2084.
Moon called on officials to “do everything possible to keep nuclear power plants safe while maintaining a decent operating rate,” according to Park.
The nuclear phase-out plan put in place by the Moon government focuses on a slow break from nuclear power by refraining from building additional plants while phasing out old ones.
According to the roadmap, South Korea plans to reduce the number of operating nuclear power plants to 17 by 2034, from 24 this year.
The government plans to cut nuclear power to account for 23.9% of the country’s total electricity generation by 2030, down from around 30% last year. It aims to increase the proportion of renewable sources to 20% against 6.6% over the same period.